26 January, 2015 AZ Mountaintop Lesbian Wedding
So to be completely honest…I have been putting this blog off until I really had time to sit and focus for an entire day. Today is that day. Sit back and enjoy this story. It’s a doozy (and this will probably be a sappy novel of a post but just stick with me).
Once upon a time I had booked a wedding in Tucson, AZ. It was scheduled for a Sunday. I posted a list of my upcoming trips on social media and Tucson was on that list. Not long after, I got an email from a couple in Phoenix saying, “Hi Steph! We noticed that one of your last trips in 2014 is AZ. Just curious if you might have time for an extra job while you’re here. Angel & I have been together for over 8 years and recently sprung with our state’s new marriage law…we’re in initial talks about it. She’s been showing me your blog for a while now and we love your work.” They mentioned that they did not expect the ban to be overturned so quickly and it caught them by surprise. Wedding discussion was heavier than ever and ideas of eloping or having a very small intimate wedding was the most appealing. “We’re not sure if we can pull something together (or decide what exactly we want) by the time you are here but would absolutely LOVE to at least meet you. If you do have time, we would be so grateful if you can squeeze in a session of us.” They sent me a few pics of them, their daughter and their pups. I immediately fell in love with all of them. It’s so rewarding to do what you love and to then have clients come into your life that confirm huge decisions you’ve made in your career.
Keep in mind I was going to be in AZ at the beginning of December. They booked me a little over a month before their wedding. A MONTH!! This blew my mind. They were planning this all in a month. I got pics of dresses, rings, flowers …at first. Location: they went from possibly wanting to be married in the courthouse to me sending them a video a couple of my friends filmed on a mountaintop just the two of them and the videographers/photographers/officiant. They sent me pictures of Mount Lemmon that they loved and quickly it started coming together. This experience was insane and I was excited to be right there in the mix of everything! I got an email saying hey, we rented this awesome getaway house in the middle of the desert. Then I got another email saying, oh hey we got our favorite 2 man band the Sugar Thieves to play at the house by the fire after. Oh and PS: we came across Max & Molly Films in San Diego, CA and are having them come to film the entire day. I was beside myself and just wanted to hug these perfect strangers that felt like friends. I couldn’t have done it without the ever so talented Margie Woods. We have the best adventures. Like her luggage getting stuck in Los Angeles for 2 days and having back-to-back weddings to shoot. Ahh! We also stayed at THEE best Airbnb..if you’re in Tucson stay HERE if you don’t you’ll kick yourself in the shin repeatedly. **UPDATE** In just 24 hours Monica & Angel’s gorgeous wedding has been featured on COSMOPOLITAN & BUSTLE. It’s a beautiful day for love to spread like wildfire.
Once the full video is released by Max & Molly I’ll post it but here is a sneak peek. Seriously do yourself a favor and click play really quick:
ANNNNNNND Today (05.23.15) the video was released:
This blog is already long so I’ll let the images speak for themselves. Let me just leave you with a list:
- Thick fog and pouring rain on the mountaintop. We went for it anyway. What troopers!
- Margie and I backing into the largest cactus in all of the land with our rental car. Damage.
- Mimosas and live music by a cozy fireplace. Windows everywhere showing off the perfect post stormy scene. Ahh that smell after rain in the desert. I was a complete SAP. I couldn’t believe this was my life and I was soaking it all in!
- Deciding to stay longer after we were done shooting. Monica and I went to the grocery store to get wine & steaks and veggies to grill.
- I realized Molly from Max and Molly Films was actually a singer that I am a huge fan of. SMALL WORLD. We sang together after dinner. Go check out her new band HERE…they don’t disappoint.
- Monica and Angel are flying out to Dallas in a couple of weeks. Adventures will be had and Dallas will never be the same!
- Made some lifelong friends on this trip and I am just shaking my head at this entire thing. EPIC. I rarely use that word but really. EPIC: telling a story about exciting events or adventures; very great or large and usually impressive
Turn on some music…go ahead push play below:
and let this story soak in. This is what life is all about. Love, connections…and documenting stories, adventures and experiences. I am sitting here on a Saturday enjoying a mimosa and so excited to share this. What a freaking incredible 2014.
Angel & Monica // Mountaintop Lesbian Wedding // Vendor List:
Videography: Max & Molly Films
Hair/Makeup: Margarita GoDiva
Flowers: Sarah’s Garden
Handwritten Vows: Matt Minjares
Music: the Sugar Thieves
I know you guys remember Court & Suzy and their gorgeous...
The night after Christmas I was sitting in my loft reading a book...
Well good lord..I just love these two. Two of my best buddies. I'...